Monday, November 23, 2009

Checking In

Can I just tell you how happy I am that I decided to do only a Half Cannonball? If not, at this point, I'd be a bundle of stress (and probably guilt) for being behind, but as it is, I'm right on track. And that is fabulous.

I went to the local used bookstore on Saturday and picked up two books for CBR-II. Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder and A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane. I think having books in reserve will be key to staying on top of the Cannonball Read.

The first book, Mountains, has particular interest for me, because my sister works for Partners in Health, the health organization of Paul Farmer, the focus of the book. I've been meaning to read it for a couple of years now, so I'm really happy to have a copy to dive into at hand.

As for the Lehane novel, I have a vague recollection of reading a good review of, if not this particular book, his works in general. Ah yes, I see that he is the author of Gone, Baby, Gone. No wonder his name sounds familiar. I'm not a huge mystery reader, but I generally like the books I've read in this genre.

So, that's where I'm at at the moment. Making good progress on my second book, Couldn't Keep It to Myself by Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution, and I have other books on hand to keep on trucking through CBR-II. Oh, and one other thing, I am so happy to be reading more! It's like being part of this is the reminder I need to make reading a bigger priority.

1 comment:

  1. I recently reviewed Lehane's Shutter Island. It was excellently mediocre. But I'm willing to give him another try.

    ReplyDelete